Welcome to "Them What Brung Us"

Print
Major Robert H. Pickel

Features

Major Robert H. Pickel

OFFICER IN CHARGE OF THE PHARMACY

in addition to his duties as

COMMANDING OFFICER
DETACHMENT MEDICAL DEPARTMENT
BROOKE GENERAL AND CONVALESCENT HOSPITAL

Major Robert Pickel

"Where is the pharmacy?" is a question often asked of personnel on duty at Brooke. And though the question is most asked at the new hospital, the answer could well afford to be in the form of a question: "Which Pharmacy?" -- for the Brooke General and Convalescent Hospital maintains three.

Major Robert H. Pickel, MAC, besides his many duties as commanding officer, Detachment Medical Department, is also in charge of the Pharmacy by reason of being a Registered Pharmacist.

Reporting for active duty on 24 June, 1942, Major Pickel was immediately assigned to the Station Hospital (now Brooke) and designated Assistant Adjutant on the following day. He served in that capacity until 23 Jun 1944 when he was designated Commanding Officer, Detachment Medical Department.

Attending school in Palestine, Texas, his home, Major Pickel graduated from the Danforth School of Pharmacy in 1931. His genial personality, his firm adherence to duty have made him a well-liked personality about the hospital.

The Pharmacy Section is under the Medical Service of the hospital and is one of the few sections in the entire hospital which works in close co-operation with practically every department at Brooke.

The main Pharmacy is located on the first floor of the east wing of the new hospital and services the wards of the new hospital as well as all out-patients. The second Pharmacy is located on the first floor of Annex II, and is maintained for all enlisted personnel assigned to the hospital as well as those on duty in the immediate area of Fort Sam Houston. The third pharmacy is located on the third floor of the main building of the old hospital and this one services the various wards in the hospital area.

All of the Pharmacies are completely (text missing) and each is efficiently managed by (text missing) enlisted and civilian personel, under the supervision of Major Pickel. Four of the enlisted men and one civilian in the main pharmacy, two enlisted men at Annex II Pharmacy, and one enlisted man at the old hospital pharmacy are registered pharmacists.

It has been said that it doesn't take an expert to mix a little of this and a little of that to make up a concoction of sorts, but when it comes to filling a prescription -- well, that takes skill and accuracy.

Prescriptions must conform to United States Pharmaceutical standards and must be so carefully compounded as not to vary even one-thousandth of one percent in weight or measure.

No prescription is filled without a prescription slip issued and personally signed by a medical or dental officer of the hospital.

The main Pharmacy at Brooke furnishes all the Penicillin used by the hospital with a daily average of 100 ampules prepared in solution, ointment, powder and troche form.

In addition, 10,500 prescriptions of all kinds are compiled monthly by all three pharmacies. Prescriptions for the Arsenal, Camp Stanley, Army Map Service and the San Antonio Army Service Forces Depot are included in this figure.

In order to verify the accurate filling of all prescriptions, a Formulary now in the process of revision is used to check all formulas.

Major Pickel and Staff

.......

Source: "The Brooke Bluebonnet Broadcast", Vol. 2, No. 1, dated 20 April 1945,
pp. 5-7

 

 

 

 



This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, Version 12.01 ©, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2018.